Print Page   |   Sign In   |   Register
News & Press: Uplink

Level 3 Provides Vyvx Infrastructure to ESPN Brazil to Optimize Its TV Broadcasts

Monday, July 23, 2012   (0 Comments)
Posted by: Orly Konig-Lopez
Share |
SAO PAULO, July 18, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Level 3 Communications, Inc. (NYSE: LVLT) today announced that ESPN Brazil will use Level 3 Vyvx broadcast solutions infrastructure and managed services to optimize transmissions and provide integrated services for TV stations that carry its broadcasts in Brazil. This is Level 3's first Vyvx infrastructure contract in Brazil.

Vyvx Managed Video Network Services (MVNS) are focused on procuring, maintaining and operating the hardware and software that move video from origin to destination. MVNS includes a full range of Vyvx services that support live video transmission for some of the world's most watched TV events. Level 3 will transmit video to more than 1,300 points of interest in 300 cities in 26 countries.

"ESPN's channels have been in Brazil for 23 years, broadcasting live sports events worldwide," said Victor Hannoun, director of Engineering and Operations at ESPN Brazil. "The Vyvx infrastructure – including encoders, decoders, format conversion equipment and protocols, and management tools – will enhance the quality of our distribution, and Level 3 also will monitor the technology."

Level 3 will monitor and manage ESPN's broadcast infrastructure link in real time, 24 hours a day, from its command center in New York City. The circuit has a capability of 140 Megabits per second (Mbps) and is divided into two high definition (HD) channels of 50 Mbps each, and two standard definition (SD) channels of 20 Mbps each.

"Level 3 is a world leader in live event broadcasting, and we are helping ESPN to offer the Brazilian market a complete, high quality solution using our most advanced technology for video broadcast," said Marcos Malfatti, Level 3's senior vice president of Sales in Brazil. "Level 3´s Vyvx solutions have been enabling network broadcasts for more than 20 years, with a reputation and track record of quality in global full-service video transmission solutions."

Some of the largest media and entertainment companies worldwide turn to Vyvx services for their high profile news, sports, entertainment and other special event broadcasts.

Level 3 recently expanded its Vyvx Solutions suite of video transmission services into Latin America, leveraging Level 3's high quality all-IP fiber network. Vyvx Solutions can be customized for video transmissions of any type and from various locations, supporting some of the largest global media and entertainment companies by helping carry high-profile news, sports, entertainment and other special event broadcasts.

For more information on Level 3's Vyvx Solutions, which in addition to Latin America, is offered in Asia, Australia, Europe and North America, visit

For more information on Level 3's advanced network and service offerings, visit

About ESPN Brazil
In 2012, the ESPN brand celebrates 23 years in Brazil. Worldwide leader in sports, ESPN came to the country in 1989 and was the first sports channel in Brazil's paid TV offering. Six years later, in 1995, the company created the ESPN Brazil channel. In April 2009, it launched ESPN HD. Today, in addition to TV, ESPN has expanded its presence in the country to the Internet ( and ESPN360), Radio Estadao ESPN (a project with Grupo Estado – AM 700 and 92.9 FM), mobiles (ESPN Mobile TV and ESPN 360), events (X Games, ESPN ao Ar Livre, Circuito Corpore ESPN) and print (ESPN magazine). ESPN in Brazil belongs to the network ESPN International, which was established in 1988 as a division of ESPN Inc. for markets outside the United States. ESPN is 80% owned by ABC, Inc., a subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company. The other 20% is owned by Hearst Corporation.

About Level 3 Communications
Level 3 Communications, Inc. (NYSE: LVLT) provides local, national and global communications services to enterprise, government and carrier customers. Level 3's comprehensive portfolio of secure, managed solutions includes fiber and infrastructure solutions; IP-based voice and data communications; wide-area Ethernet services; video and content distribution; data center and cloud-based solutions. Level 3 serves customers in more than 450 markets in 45 countries over a global services platform anchored by owned fiber networks on three continents and connected by extensive undersea facilities. Level 3 services are provided by subsidiaries of Level 3 Communications, Inc.  For more information, visit

Association Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal