As business becomes increasingly global, enterprise IT managers must find ways to incorporate satellite links into their networks. The most popular enterprise-class applications - Citrix, SAP, Oracle, Siebel - can suffer major performance loss over satellite, however, or fail to work at all unless the right technology is put into place. This white paper offers eight questions that enterprise buyers should ask their satellite service providers in order to judge how effective their technology will be:
1. What data security features does your network offer?
2. What kind of VPN solutions function over your satellite network?
3. Where are the firewalls to protect my remote offices from the Internet and who controls their configurations?
4. What enterprise applications are known to work over satellite through the VPN and what will the user experience at his desktop?
5. How many devices are required at the remote office to connect to the headquarters?
6. Who installs and supports each device?
7. How do I manage the Firewall/VPN solution and what kind of training will I need?
8. Does the VPN solution touch the desktop PCs at the remote site?